Ricky 'Overbridge' Tinez

My kids use my tablet all the time so I’m sure the YouTube algoritm is crying in a corner somewhere, arms around its head, wishing for a safe place.

“But first he googles Prophet 5 stuff … and there’s Star Stable videos all over … and Roblox walkthrus … and then some damn fx pedal … and then Alfie Atkins … and then there’s nursery rhymes … and Metroid from goddam nowhere … we can’t get to this guy, try as we might … can’t reach this guy …”

18 Likes

I subscribe to his channel, and he seems quite proficient with his gear. I’m not seeing what others have described. Sure, sometimes he forgets where a menu is… but if he’s forgetting it, then chances are, everyone is going to forget it, which indicates a design issue. And no one can be proficient with a product that doesn’t work as documented. I appreciate his disclosure.

1 Like

And he usually does some really nice outro jams, I just really enjoy his channel… and he is the one that finally made me buy my first Elektron device, thanks Ricky! Because it wasn’t the last…

2 Likes

the phrase is surely an oxymoron?

1 Like

Yeah, I watch Loopop (or a couple others) if I need help figuring out how something works; I watch Ricky if I want to see what it’s like to actually use something. I find it’s more pleasant most of the time to do the latter.

5 Likes

I mostly watch Ricky’s videos to hang out with Ricky. They have a really cozy vibe.

17 Likes

The phrase itself is value-neutral, i guess!

1 Like

What did he work as before becoming full time YT person (BoBeats)?

Espen Kraft announced that he would quit is job, too (and I believe he did) but then his videos disappeared from my suggestions stream.

1 Like

I like the fact that Ricky share’s whether he actually likes something or doesn’t, and isn’t afraid or concerned with hurting anyone’s feelings about it… he’s an mpc head but calls his own friends mpc crap or something like that, sometimes he loves the digitakt sometimes he doesn’t haha, love it when he comes to the point sometimes where he’s like 'wtf is this about… and he doesn’t push that ratchet circuit business on his viewers, most music tubers would be beating you over the head with the products their day job makes, I like that he doesn’t let that kind of thing get out of hand

3 Likes

Pretty sure I read somewhere BoBeats worked in the field of psychology.

1 Like

Physiotherapy as far as I remember from one of his videos…

2 Likes

That’s what he claims

All developers knew WELL in advance when changes from Apple were happening.

Overbridge is awesome…I never use it. But I’m not musically talented enough to benefit from it’s features. Really an awesome tool.

3 Likes

It’s getting to be more and more the case. I suppose that’s part of the perils of making a weekly video. He is doing the best he can and these are basically vlogs.

1 Like

Interesting. Btw. YT came back to me with an Espen Kraft video. It was a book review. :no_mouth:

Psychology - physiotherapy - who could tell the difference :smile: :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, i used to despise OB a few years ago. It wasn´t working properly, lots of noise and glitches was standard. But now i went and installed the latest version again, this time only for my Rytm, and it works great. The only thing i miss is having the possibility to run all the individual instruments out via separate USB channels and not hitting the USB roof. Luckily i don´t need the toms… But OB today in the latest version, running in Bitwig 3.3.3 on Windows 10, works great! Love having the possibility to just pile upp effects on the sounds and misbehave as much as i like. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

I have to say that’s my favorite thing about his videos… not hyper-edited and fearlessly leaves in his mistakes/confusion/distraction/tangents which makes him more relatable.

2 Likes

“Yes, I understand that you’re the professional, Mr Beats but I just don’t understand how massaging my groin is going to help me with my intimacy issues.”

5 Likes

Parental feels, all over lol. It’s refreshing to know you’re not alone in this ocean of insanity from time to time :slight_smile:

2 Likes