Strymon BigSky Plugin

Got it too for $29. I think it was discounted on occasion of the publication of the first black hole photo ever a few years ago.

You could get some Eventide plugins till end of April even for free if you have bought a dot9 pedal:

Check here:

iLok??
No way, not even for free

I wonder if the approach is ā€œwell, components are hard to get ahold of right now and keep our profit marginsā€¦ so letā€™s release a plugin version for an insane price.ā€

it is great that you can run multiple instance. so maybe itā€™s worth the price just for that. to the right buyer at least.

I think itā€™s priced this high so people will jump on it when itā€™s on sale. And if people buy it at this price even betterā€¦

1 Like

Read iLok too

Valhalla FTW

1 Like

RIP. WTF knows when itā€™ll be available in Japan. Not looking forward to the price with the value of the yen tankingā€¦

I have no problem with iLok as I already have it for Eventide, Sonnox, UVI, Softube, Soundtoys, Moog and now Stymon ā€¦Way too much good stuff uses iLok so for me its unavoidable.

Anyway- demoed BigSky, one oif the best reverbs I have ever heard native and the 12 very different reverb machines actually make it decent vale (you would need 4-5 Valhalla VSTs at $50 a go to cover this range), I will definitely pick it up.

Alos just want to say how great it is to be able to just download and try legendary hardware pedalsā€¦itā€™s so much better than YT reviews of the hardware!

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to demo this for fun as Iā€™ve always wanted to try the pedal and never have. The initial asking price is too much for me though as thereā€™s so many viable alternatives already. If it ever goes on sale for 50% off Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™d immediately grab it though.

I donā€™t have any problem with iLok either. I used to absolutely hate it many years ago, but TBH itā€™s become my preferred mechanism unless just a straight serial number is offered (with no online verification) which is almost never the case anymore.

1 Like

Anyone pick up Raum when it was being given away a year ago? I consider myself pretty adapt at all the different reverbs out there and it remains one of my favorites, and I have a Big Sky pedal. Still cool to see hardware companies starting to provide ITB options for people.

You can get a Wavestate native plug-in for the same priceā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

Raum is really nice and that was quite a cool giveaway by NI. Iā€™m a big fan of Arturia Intensity as well.

I did try the demo of BigSky for a while this afternoon and I can definitely say I see what the fuss is about. No doubt, it sounds beautiful. I was playing some simple chords with the reverb (infamous cloud setting) into a delay, and it was so simple, yet the FX took it to this level that I was entirely mesmerized by.

Have to admit, I had a few moments of gas, but I canā€™t do it right now. I have an Empress Reverb pedal (which I love) and a bunch of software options. If I didnā€™t have those, then $200 would definitely be expensive, but more palatable and I could see saying ā€˜F itā€™ at some point. Given what I already have though, itā€™s very tempting, butā€¦ not going to do it. At a $99 price point, I know Iā€™d have caved pretty quickly and done it, but Iā€™m holding out.

4 Likes

Did anyone give this a shot yet? What happens if u try and buy from overseas? Can you just use a vpn and buy it?

I really wanted to buy it. I put it in my cart day one and couldnā€™t get it because Iā€™m in Japan. They now offer it from 2 Chinese stores, but Iā€™m not sure if they take Japanese credit cards. Canā€™t be fucked to use VPN. If a product makes it THAT hard to buy, I think thatā€™s the cosmos saying buy something else. (Still want it, thoughā€¦)

1 Like

So what is the consensus here? Is it worth the price? I have always wanted the pedal but I donā€™t use pedals so this is more tempting. But the price is steep with the competition that is out there. But most of my reverbs are mixing reverbs and not character reverbs so aside from the Valhalla plugins I have there would not be much overlap for me.

ā€¦just donā€™tā€¦this pedal is great sounding hardwareā€¦

but if ur not into pedals, there are simply way too many really good reverb plugins out there ,that donā€™t need to price gauche for the sake of their hw ā€œoriginalā€, which is also nothing but digital algos doing the same thing, just behind some physical inā€™s and outā€™s, and stomps instead of clicksā€¦

more than 100 bux for a plain reverb plugin is nothing but ridicoulusā€¦
even eventides black hole stuff is under 50 bux in softwareā€¦

2 Likes

This is great advice. And for the price, you can even add Valhalla Vintageverb, then I would wonder if you need any other reverb.

1 Like

So what do you all think the best alternatives for a character reverb would be? Some of the Valhalla or eventide options?

I wonder why they priced it as they did. I bet at even $99 they would sell more than 2x as many and make more money in the endā€¦

They are both very good, but also kinda different. They both stay in their respective lanes. I have both, and I would say try demos.

I think Blackhole is $29 right now. Valhalla is always $50.

I would get both. They are both that good.

Edit: yup. $29. Get that one now. The pick up Vintage Verb when you can.

1 Like