Successful producers

Absolutely . But humanity loses . I feel kinda sorry for all of those youtubers who spend all of their free time playing picture perfect live sets and dj-sets all by themselves in their rooms in front of a camera . They might have a global following of hundreds of thousands but it will never replace playing at your local club surrounded by your friends and party people , whit real dancing , real sweat , real beers flying through the air , real performance mistakes and fuckups , real girls shoving their real tongues down your throat is a wasted blur . Call me old school but i’ll take that 100 euro dj gig in that 200 people capacity crazy vibes club any time !!

10 Likes

Try to see this from their perspective and feel happy for them as I’m sure they really think “they’ve made it”.
It’s hippy feel good shit but like - why does it matter if someone with no talent gets “success” while someone who is talented doesn’t?
Most people don’t really wanna engage with heady, esoteric stuff and just want simple stuff to take them out of their everyday lives (hence pop music) There’s not much anyone can do about that.

So maybe it’s just your idea of what’s good is different, and if thats the case then feel good that you’re doing something you think is good vs placate the masses.
But don’t think someone else is “bad” because they have different taste or have managed to meet a lot of people who share their poor taste :stuck_out_tongue:
Focus on making stuff you like and finding people who share your taste and eventually things might happen, not Katy perry levels of things, but local “underground” shit for sure. And if you enjoy THAT then who knows where it leads.

1 Like

nah man ive already done 20 years as a tradesman, have experience and now clocking 40 ticks.
not everyone gets it and i only done my music industry courses a few years ago.

Well… you’re young at heart then. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I think the problem is with all these music industry courses.

If you want to be a successful musician, go practice til you’re good enough.

If you want to be a successful producer, go and sweep some studio floors and work your way up.

If you want to start a label or promote shows, get a bank loan, get some connections and get on with it.

All a college course is going to do is fill you with a load of baseless feelings of entitlement which soon turn to bitterness when the career you thought you were walking into doesn’t pan out.

10 Likes

Bruh, you keep sayin all these folks with no talent keep makin it and all these other great musicians are gettin passed up.
The talent IS selling yourself, if you cant do that, it means YOU are the untalented one.
Thats the game.
Music theory wont save you.
Learning music=good musician.
Learning networking=famous artist.
Two completely different things.

12 Likes

And sometimes good enough ain’t enough.

3 Likes

AFAIK youtube is already considered dying format for old & boring people. TikTok is taking over.

1 Like

This is some quality advice. I done an audio engineering course nearly 20 years ago and it was clear to me pretty early on that I wasn’t going to get a job very easily and the course wasnt going to help much.
It was really helpful though, I learned a shitload about recording and electronics and glad I done it. I’d already been working for years so I could really appreciate having 2 years to do nothing but music. Had a blast! Still paying it off but…

7 Likes

Great attitude

2 Likes

i loved it also, got to know the music scene and the aussie big shots lol
kid kenobi, klaus heavy weight hill, deep child…
used to listen to deep childs radio show every friday, now friends with these dudes

2 Likes

Without wishing to open a can of worms, the writing is on the wall for youtube, google, facebook etc. Starting to see big shifts away from the corporate monoliths, and a move toward decentralised platforms, which I think is a good thing.

8 Likes

So Mr Ripley, where can we listen to your tunes?

just recently discussed this on Facebook :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
there is a fundamental problem for the moment.
if a platform is intended to be profitable — it must be centralised for many reasons, including legal reasons.
maybe this is going to change someday too, but i would not expect it soon.

I think the OP was more aiming at the fact that untalented people with not so much real interest into music can succeed.
Not about complaining to not succeed.

1 Like

Sure traditional business models, blockchain will eventually become the zeitgeist, once the general public become tired of being the commodity I think many will seek out alternatives.

1 Like

one of possible scenarios.
another is state or coprorate monopoly for blockchain.

I’m just surprised that you’re surprised, still, that talent is not a big factor in music industry success.
The most financially successful musicians I know are DJs who play at weddings and corporate events. They make more from single gig than the many talented and original musicians I know make in a year. Zero creativity required, just give people what they want and smile while doing it.
You could do that!
Or be an artist, and doom yourself to uncertainty and obscurity. Up to you…

1 Like

Undoubtedly, maybe less so on the corporate side due to policy on deplatforming, to be clear a lot of people might not support those that have been deplatformed but are strongly against the principle of it.

Decentralisation ‘levels the playing field” in this regard, concerns that it would lead to the rise of more nefarious stuff gaining traction I think are unfounded, and unrealistic, extremism does not have wide ranging appeal, IMHO.

1 Like

If I got too worked up over everyone who was successful in music without the corresponding talent to warrant that success, I’d have probably stroked out years ago.

I once saw a guy get paid a bunch of money to come in from out of state to perform his so-called original electronic music sets. The guy was basically muting/unmuting stock loops on an MPC Live all night.

On one level, it was annoying that everyone was dancing and nobody knew or cared that the guy was a fraud.

I even had the perfect setup/opportunity to call the guy out to his face for the deception as he was bragging about how everything we were hearing were all sounds that he had sampled as he traveled the country. I could have even named most the sound packs he was looping from.

But I didn’t. I laughed to myself, had a drink and went on to enjoy the rest of my evening.

In any creative field, you’re going to have untalented floaters that somehow, inexplicably rise to the top.

I think that REAL talent that comes from doing the work can be a more sustainable commodity with the right “marketing”, even if in the short term, watching those floaters rise seems disheartening.

4 Likes