Toraiz as-1

for sure. That‘s true for many synths unfortunately :slightly_smiling_face: can‘t collect them all

2 Likes

Ha! Just realized… i can use my DNK to Control the AS-1 too…gonna try that on the Weekend.

1 Like

I had a try with my DN knobs controlling the AS but I found I was having an issue whereby hitting stop on the DN was making the AS jump back to preset 001 in the park I was in. I’ve slept since then but I’m sure I either had to have PC transmit on or it was off but the AS was still ‘resetting’ to 001? I didn’t dig any deeper at the time.

Interesting, i’ll see. Could be that those DN Transport messages get translated by AS into a PC to preset 001.

Is the AS1 fast enough to do Patch flipping Like on the Bass Station 2? Someone tried to sequence that?
Damn i really should try it with the Digitone Keys Multimapping.

EDIT: PC via Multimapping only by triggering different patterns, it seems.

There’s a fast way manually using the keypad.

2 Likes

Thank you, i saw this in the Manual too, but Not Sure If these quick Program Changes are sequenceable.

As I’ve been enjoying the hell out of my recently obtained AS-1, and I know there’s a fair bit of love for it round these parts, I thought I’d try and spark things here with a question!

I’m loving the AS-1. It sounds truly amazing, and super sweet spotty. I’m also actually really enjoying some of the workflow elements, mainly the step sequencer (f.e. for small 8 step sequences), and the fun and easy method of trying out slew on some steps during playback. I’ve mapped my Keylab midi controls to the AS-1 so I have lots of extra controls over the envelopes and filters.

At the same time it’s got its firmware faults known here, which might affect the way people use/sequence it. Because of that, and the fact that it’s just different than the Elektrons many have on our desks, I’m curious to ask:

How are people using their AS-1s?

I’m currently really loving recording loops made in the AS-1 sequencer into my OT. I never really did that as much with my Digitone and A4, due to their sequencers/PC’s being compatible to run together. But with the fun new workflow of the AS-1, plus the amazing sound (and the less ideal knob per function interface) I’ve found it really inspires me to work it this way.

Curious to hear other people’s use/tricks workflow wise!

2 Likes

Interesting! I’ve never really used its sequencer at all – just found it more convenient to sequence with my DT (plus p-locks and additional LFO(s) ) and also there is the issue of it losing sync if you change preset, so I’ve ignored it. I should probably give the sequencer a go – I tend to get lazy and stuck in a particular workflow, and inbuilt sequencers can lead to nice happy accidents.

I guess I really use it mainly as kind of a synth voice for my Digitakt. As I’ve used it more, I tend to make liberal use of of the modwheel, aftertouch and the slider in my patches, which I can then also sequence/LFO with the DT – can really animate the sound.

1 Like

I knew when I bought it of the sequencer/sync issue (while changing program).
Although I rely heavily on MIDI sequencing external HW from Digitakt or Reaper (or both at the same time), this has not bothered me so far.
I am so baffled by its sound. I have not gotten over it yet :joy:
I do use the onboard sequencer as well as sampling from it entire loops or portions of sounds.
I particularly appreciate the effect section on it.
The only issue I had (partly resolved now) was programming my MIDI controller (Kenton) to send NRPNs.

1 Like

I’ve got groovy dark 70’s minimal wave thing going with two AS-1’s, supported by the AR, one for Bass and one for lead. The Bass gets low eq gain (SSLsix bell hump), and the Lead always gets a short and sweet reverb (Ventris dual reverb).
SquarpPyramid controls it all, nothing fancy, manual pattern trigging for hours, comfortable chair, much to the neglect of all my other keyboards.

I steer clear of them AS-1 sequences, they sometimes miss a note and frame shift the sequence. I also noticed weird behaviour with the Arturia Keystep, where the AS-1’s would revert to a weird patch that sounds like a cross between an init patch and the patch that was in use, whenever the Keystep’s arpeggiator was stopped and started again.

1 Like

:star_struck:

2 Likes

I sequence my AS-1 via my iPad running Drambo over 5-pin midi. I then use another iPad to run this mididesigner pro template to control all the parameters over USB. The template is fine but not great, I’m hoping patchbase will add support for the AS-1, which would add bidirectional midi and a better interface.

I love my AS-1, sound and build quality is excellent. I’m a bit tempted by the Norand, but probably won’t get one as the AS-1 is so good (and I’m fairly dubious of any new product from a new company).

1 Like

Fellows Elektronauts…
In need of help here.
I have managed so far to program CCs and NRPN to control the AS-1 from a midi controller (Kenton Freak Live).
Now I am left with one question: how do you incorporate NRPNs that have a controller ID superior to 127?
Have managed so far the implementation of value ranges 0-255. The issue I have is not related to the values of NRPNs but rather to identify how to increment a NRPN whose ID is above 127?
Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

As you probably know, an NRPN message uses two bytes to identify the parameter that it controls. The first byte is the Most Significant Byte and the second is the Least Significant Byte.

Therefore NRPN messages 0 to 127 are given by having the value of the Most Significant Byte be 0 and the value of the Least Significant Byte be in the range from 0 to 127.

NRPN messages 128 to 255 are given by having the value of the Most Significant Byte be 1 and the value of the Least Significant Byte be in the range from 0 to 127.

… and so on. It should be easy to figure out what values of MSB and LSB result in the NRPN for a particular parameter.

The AS-1 responds to NRPN messages in the range from 0 to 1152.

As examples:
NRPN 0 is given by MSB = 0 and LSB = 0.
NRPN 167 is given by MSB = 1 and LSB = 39.
NRPN 1024 is given by MSB = 8 and LSB = 0.
NRPN 1075 is given by MSB = 8 and LSB = 51.
NRPN 1152 is given by MSB = 9 and LSB = 0.

5 Likes

@PeterHanes thank you for your time in explaining.
Will look at it when I am back at it :slight_smile:
Not sure I understood everything but will get back to you once I try it.
Thanks again for your time.

Hey @PeterHanes
Have been toying around with the AS-1.
Can’t seem to get my head around it.

This is how I get a NRPN (say cc24) with a range of 0-127:
NRPN Controller MSB: 0
NRPN Controller LSB: 24
NRPN Data MSB: 0
NRPN Data LSB: Data from slider

Now to get a NRPN (say cc37) with a range of 0-255:
NRPN Controller MSB: 0
NRPN Controller LSB: 37
NRPN Data MSB: Data from slider

I have tried but I must be missing something to send a NRPN above 127… Cannot get there. I do not seem to be able to locate where the MSB increment is supposed to go.

Say a NRPN cc128 with a range of 0-127:
NRPN Controller MSB: 1
NRPN Controller LSB: 1
NRPN Data MSB: 0

This does not work…

http://maxforlive.com/library/device/5251/toraiz-as1-nprn-ctrl-editor

1 Like

Thanks @klerc but not using Live :slight_smile:
I know there is an editor available but I am willing to avoid computers :slight_smile:

Ok got it…
My bad…
Works :slight_smile:
Thanks @PeterHanes and @klerc

2 Likes