Toraiz as-1

This is a a pretty basic.
When I scroll through the presets, the volume level seems radically different for some patches.
This is a monster PITA for managing the trim on my mixer and overall mix, if I want to experiment live.
Anyone else see this?
Any suggestions on how to keep the synth volume more stable as patches change?

Adjust the presets volume and save it… I’ve done it on my AF mk2 and adjusted tuning

It’s under “miscellaneous” I think, quite near the end of the patch parameters towards the arp/sequencer

1 Like

Great call out. Thank you. The docs say it’s meant to keep the volume roughly the same from patch to patch.
Seems that, out of the box, it’s doing exactly the opposite.

The AS-1’s FX cause a volume drop (way more than the Prophet~6 does).
I was really surprised at the volume jump on some patches.

It’s annoying. I’m expecting, like with everything else, I’ll get used to it over time, and it won’t be a problem.

Jumping in to say I got my AS-1 in the mail this weekend, and I’m loving it so far. It’s funny how this has almost been marketed more as a “DJ Tool” than a proper synth, considering how deep it goes and how great it sounds. It really is a Prophet. If they were to drop the silly keyboard and put more knobs in their place it would probably be my favorite mono of all time. I’m definitely enjoying the patch memory after a few years with a Boog, that’s for sure.

Also wanted to note that I got it for $425 (that’s with tax included) from Pro Sound Gear. You just need to punch in your email to become a “VIP” member, whatever that means.

3 Likes

I thought ProSoundGear doesn’t collect tax, and that it’s your responsibility to pay the tax to the government at the end of the year. Has this changed?

Oh…weird. I didn’t even consider that. I didn’t get charged tax, so I guess that’s still the case. No idea how that’s supposed to work, but I’ll keep it in mind come tax season.

1 Like

They’ve got some real good deals! Thanks (sorta, ha) for reminding me. Rolands, AKAI, Novation, all cheaper than most other places. Had to remind myself I don’t need any new gear, as much as an AS-1 and TR-6S tempt me!

2 Likes

If it helps, I got a chance to play with the TR-6, and it felt like a toy, as it is a really light plastic box. The UI was a bit…eh, and not too inviting. The little buttons and fat fingers don’t get along, and the using of knobs to adjust specific parameters is a slight hassle. Was really excited about it, and now I’m only slightly (30-40%) sure I’ll pick one up, as before I was 100% sure.
Haha

1 Like

I like toys, though. Can’t be more plastic as my trusty DR-110, or the original TR-606.
So not much help. Made a bunch of patterns on my PO Robot last night for OT import.

Thanks though!

But that brings up a good question for AS-1 owners, how is the build quality on the AS-1? How does it hold up years after purchase? I’ve always had good luck with Pioneer gear. Even the plastic stuff.

Build quality of the AS1 is quite nice. The (few) knobs are similar to what’s on a Prophet Rev 2 and in general the box makes a complete / solid impression. Feel is also good. Even the little touch keyboard is surprisingly playable. But I agree with the previous post, if they would have ditched the keyboard for more knobs that would have been a game changer. Anyway, a Faderfox EC4 or a Midi Fighter Twister solve that problem, Midi implementation is excellent on the AS1.

2 Likes

Yeah I will say the menu system of the AS-1 is a bit more cumbersome than I was hoping. Maybe it’s because I don’t understand DSIs architecture as thoroughly as Moog’s, but I’m having a hard time seeing the big picture while scrolling through things, and a lot of the values end up feeling abstract to me. I miss the muscle memory and bird’s eye view of the Model D.

However…lack of preset memory had its own set of problems. Yes it was tactile and easy, but I was in constant fear of forgetting that perfect patch, which had me taking a bunch of photos, or not wanting to adjust anything until a track was “finished”. With the AS-1 I can easily jump around and experiment way more, even if the process itself isn’t as fun. I really wish I could have the best of both worlds.

Maybe I’ll just buckle and buy a Faderfox (ouch) like you suggested…or a Prophet 6 :wink:

1 Like

I still have the impression, when i play my AS-1, (and being a former P6 owner…), that the AS-1 is kind of sound optimized. Maybe more EQed or compressed to make it sound more punchy? I can´t describe. Those factory presets are soooo good!

2 Likes

Don’t hold me to it, but I could just about ditch all my synth gear for nothing but the AS1 and my Zoom H5 recorder (just talking noodling at home situation).

Huge variety of great presets, and they always to me just sound ‘finished’ when you layer them together. The only thing missing is a decent snare or clap sound.

Love the dicky little keyboard for playing and making sequences. More knobs wouldn’t hurt but eh, I think I’d rather keep the keyboard thingy than have more knobs.

For me, with its sequencer and paired with a recorder it just encourages a pure workflow… kick pattern, commit… hihats, commit… bass, commit… and so on

2 Likes

I totally hear you! I mean the parameters on the AS1 are clustered into groups that translate to a traditional subtractive synth structure, but still, scrolling through that menu is no fun.

I definitely recommend a Faderfox EC4 or any other midi controller that can send high-resolution/NRPN midi msgs. It turns the AS1 into a hands-on synth that is very programmable on the fly.

I usually wouldn‘t bother with such a „workaround“ (I also like my synths to be mainly knob-per-function usually) but the AS1 is worth the hassle & extra expense.

2 Likes

I have the nagging feeling that I won’t be happy until I at least own the as-1 for a bit to test out. need to sell my mopho and go for it.

5 Likes

Using a Kenton Freak for that matter and it really has opened up this synth for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah - this may be the way to go. Does the EC4 show the actual value of what you’re changing? IE: If I map it to the Oscillator frequencies will the screen on the EC4 say “C1, D1” etc? Or does it just show the values as numbers 1-100? I feel like this would be pretty important feedback in order to really know what you’re doing.

Edit: Going off Loopop’s video it looks like there’s no note values, so you have to remember which numbers coincide to each note/octave. There may be a firmware update at some point though.