Toraiz as-1

I ended up buying the AS-1 Editor for iOS. Here are some thoughts.

Pros:

• Bidirectional patch editing. Editing surface is well laid out and labeled.
  • Browse patches by category
  • Sequencer editing (I didn’t use this)

Cons:

• Editor is not able to receive custom patches when using an iConnectivity hub. Receive works correctly via a Camera Connector Kit.
  • Interface doesn’t efficiently use the screen space. There’s a bunch of blank space on my 11" iPad. Furthermore there is a virtual keyboard that takes up a bunch more screen space.
  • Using the physical patch knob causes the editor to display the previous patch, not the current one. Selecting a patch via the iPad menus works.
  • Loading a patch saved to the iPad itself causes the editor to mostly lock up.
  • Browse by category is based off the factory default presets, so custom patches do not show up in the list (unless I’m missing something).

With the issues I recommend it (though at $25 usd I really hope they fix some issues). Its great for buidling/editing patches.

3 Likes

Hello to all,
Quick question regarding the sequencer on AS-1:
Say I have a sequence playing on my Digitakt of 16 steps. AS-1 sync in Play/Stop mode.
If the sequence on AS-1 is 5 steps, how will it behave?
Trying to understand if the AS-1 sequence will play 3 times + 1 step and restart from the beginning or will it keep playing through, therefore making it polyrhythmic?
Thanks for any feedback :pray:

Been doing the same with a Kenton Control Freak.
Was cumbersome as I had never programmed NRPN but in the end, it proves very useful, whether for sound design or live tweaking :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have an AS-1, but your question seems a bit confused.

The Digitakt simply sends MIDI clock messages so that the AS-1 knows what tempo to play at. There is no ‘reset’ message from the DT when it reaches the end of its 16-step pattern. Therefore the AS-1 will continue repeating its pattern according to its own settings. You call this “polyrhythmic” but the more common term for this behaviour is “polymetric”.

The actual behaviour of the AS-1 depends on the number of steps that have been entered in its sequence, and the sequence [Length] setting for playback, which are not necessarily the same. See page 11 of its manual.

If you have the AS-1 and an external MIDI sequencer, you should easily be able to observe this yourself.

Thanks for the answer :slight_smile:

Thanks for clarifying :slight_smile:

Not the case as I am away from home working :slight_smile:

it will keep playing until it’s gets a transport stop, or until you stop it locally.

1 Like

@shankiphonic
Thanks a lot for the insight :pray:
Much appreciated.

Quick question for AS-1 owners. I understand the issues with switching patterns falling out of sync. I was wondering if this is still the case if you use the trigger input to advance the sequence?

The AS 1 landed today on my desktop. I like it a lot but I have an issue. Is it me or the output is definitely noisy ? I have a noticeable hum from the main output. It’s not affected by the volume, just an annoying ground hum. I tried different powering solutions and cabling, with no luck. Have you ever noticed such an issue with yours ? In comparison, my DN, Roland TR6S or Typhon are dead silent.

Hi,
Are you using midi USB ?

Never had any noise on mine I’m afraid.

No. The AS1 is plugged in the Digitone. I’m afraid my unit has a default.

Mine is silent as it should be. Did you try, if you can hear it also on the headphone output?

Never.

Thanks for your feedback guys, the unit has been sent back for repair. I hope it won’t last too long…

Mine is silent unless the USB is plugged in. Also this is one of the loudest gear I own.

I had an AS-1 a few years ago and really liked it but sold it so that I could get a P6. I actually liked the sound of the AS-1 better than the P6 and in the end sold my P6 and don’t really miss it. I’m now looking for a desktop mono with great sound quality and, obviously, the AS-1 fits that bill. But, I’m also interested in the Typhon and that is my question. I play quite gentle ambient music and want something kinda smooth and sweet sounding - I use a lot of outboard FX - so, back to the AS-1 or go for the Typhon?

I have both. I feel ya, I would say the Typhon is better suited for what you’re describing!

1 Like

I think the AS-1 has a better synth architecture if you’re already ok with the interface. The Typhon is easier to edit and has better FX, but only 2 oscs limited cross-osc modulation. If you already have a lot of outboard fx maybe you don’t need the built in Typhon ones?

I ended up selling both and getting an Uno Synth Pro. More osc/filter options than the Typhon, easier to edit than the AS-1, but often sounds a bit more lofi (especially the envelopes) and the fx are worse than both.

1 Like

I also have both. I’m currently using the Typhon for bass and mono synth duties while the AS-1 does a lot of percussive sounds and metallic, alien things.

Sometimes they switch jobs of course, but I just love the AS-1 on drums, so much so that it has me wondering if I should invest in a Tempest. That or I’ll simply sample it all in to my Digitakt and leave it at that. The Typhon is probably better suited for the ambient you’re going for.