UDO Audio Super Gemini

I think even the smallest bit of visual feedback is better than none.

The Bass Station 2, for instance, has small seven-segments to show patch number and knob/fader positions, and two tiny LEDs to show if a saved value is higher or lower.

Low-tech, but enough to be really helpful!

But yeah, for that price they could put a decent screen in.

2 Likes

In my experience, no.

The Super 6 has, for me, been a stable and reliable instrument. And UDO themselves have been responsive and helpful whenever Iā€™ve contacted them.

Of course it has itā€™s issues and quirks, as any instrument does, and of course use cases and experiences vary so I donā€™t want to discount whatever negative experiences others have had, but for me this chorus of ā€œitā€™s unfinishedā€ and/or ā€œpermanent betaā€ is more than a little hyperbolic and does not ring true.

6 Likes

This. It doesnt look good when they releasing new synth without finishing the previous one. And i hope they learned something from releasing the super 6, since it didnt go so smoothly.

1 Like

I agree this is a good design option.

1 Like

No display and no desktop - keeping GAS at bay. Absolutely beautiful industrial design though.

3 Likes

Yes, its not all bad. Donā€™t get me wrong I love mine but I do still encounter a few bugs on and even UDO recognise it isnā€™t finished if the latest version is 0.52.

Do agree with those that have mentioned it, the inability to see current patch settings is frustrating. I have both the BS2 and OB6. A little red dot goes a long way.

The Super 6 has been out for 2 years now or maybe even longer?
That means you probably had enough time to collect the funds for it.
So I guess the real question is: Why havenā€™t you?

I hope UDO learned from the previous release and started hiring people to showcase the synth instead of himself. Most demoā€™s I heard online didnā€™t do the synth justice. This synth has character but 99% of the demos miss it completely.

Also releasing a new synth while the Super 6 still isnā€™t done on the firmware side might be a good idea from a business perspective but it doesnā€™t feel right to me.

2 Likes

Anyone who has a hard time operating the Super 6 without a screen should just stick to romplers.

1 Like

As an existing Super6 owner, I feel compelled to say I am neither bitter nor feel left to the side. The Super6 is anything but a beta product to me ā€” Iā€™m thrilled with the music I get out of it every time I plug it in.

My only complaint is even the desktop is a big, heavy box. Itā€™s a pain to cart about (and with double everything, I can only imagine how massive the Gemini will feel!) But even there, the build quality of the S6 really shines through. It feels big, but substantial (and I still smile at the solid thunk the tilt-legs make whenever I flip them out).

5 Likes

I got the Super 6 keyboard about 2-3 months ago and I love it. Iā€™m sure if you take the plunge with this one youā€™ll be happy with it. The Super 6 keyboard is a bit awkward though, too big for the keyboard tray with my desk and the keys kind of stick out awkwardly just begging for an accident if I swing my chair around. I lightly bumped it a couple of times before moving it to itā€™s own stand.

If the buttons and sliders on this are the same size as on the Super 6 this keyboard will be gigantic.

1 Like

Same here, whenever I hit a key for the first time in a session I wonder why I didnā€™t play with it sooner; it just grabs you.

3 Likes

ā€œI got as far as 4 voices then eventually gave upā€.

George Hearn Mk1 early 2000ā€™s.

I think they use the short sliders of the desktop version.

I have read about ring mod and wave scanning for the gemini. I hope they will implement this additional features in the super 6.

It actually flew completely under my radar until a few months ago.

I was gonna say, OP-Z style bluetooth augmented screen for patch management, tracing modulation routings etc. would be dope, screens are handy at times and good out the way other times.

2 Likes

Spoke to Andertons rep. These are ā€˜Special orderā€™ synths only. So you wont find them in the stores. They are too high cost for stores to stockpile.

I think UDO made a smart choice with the development of the Super Gemini. There are a bunch of features that owners of the Super 6 have been hoping for such as ring mod and scannable wavetables. Since the Super 6 and Super Gemini share the same FPGA, UDO will be able to upgrade their existing line with the new features from the Super Gemini, while also releasing a flagship product. Rather than providing a free update, they are launching a new product line and likely upgrading their existing products. It is a smart business move and I think existing and new customers will benefit.

EDIT: Looks like some of these features like wave morphing and ring mod may not be traveling overā€¦

3 Likes

I want the Gemini to be really extremely large

3 Likes

Keyboard version with Poly AT is pretty big.

That was a painful omission on the original.