What's next for Elektron?

Some OB machines have individual outputs too. So, at least, 32 inputs if you have a lot of Elektron machines. Some will want to go Digital (USB) and some will want to go Analog.

This is a valid point – except Sweden is one country that has done things differently from the start. They haven’t had any stay-at-home orders like most of the rest of the world. I assume that they maybe had the option to stay at home, but somehow they’re moving through this strange time through a different method.

A machine with a full Resolution Sequencer so that when your Record something, it’s the same thing on Playback. And a Sequencer who records every Parameters including Mod Wheel, …

1 Like

Oh yes !! Thats what i have :slight_smile: But i love make beat with DN too !

1 Like

i’m sure this has been said more than once in this thread but they need to do a digital synth with a lot of voices. probably be better larger sized like the A4/Rytm/OT mk1 or mk2. or maybe even a larger desktop box perhaps?

i’m imagining basically a Nord Lead but obviously with their own approach. could be really interesting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree. Thinking about it today… you can almost have a fully Elektron Overbridge based setup and cover all sounds types - but really you need a full poly synth to finish off the selection. Something like a Korg Prologue or Novation Peak, but Elektron - with a mix on analog and digital oscs - perhaps user-updatable with virtually endless LFOs, a key-bed like the Digitone Keys, then over bridge for all of it. That would be that. :grinning:

3 Likes

I’d be on board for a boutique JD-990 with just the Vintage Synth card.

2 Likes

IF the current lineup is based on tiered product families, then Elektron have some gaps to fill. :tongue:

OT>DT>M:S
?>DN>M:C
A4>?>?
AR>?>?
?>AH>AD

I’m not so sure its a linear progression… maybe if DT & DN had twins: Samples and Cycles

It’s not really like that imo. AH (and AD) plus the OT and Sidstation are the obvious outliers. The rest are all in pairs. MD + MnM, AR + A4, DT + DN, M:S + M:C.

8 Likes

I wanted to know from you guys (since I’m not a real elektronaut as you) if you really see Elektron releasing a “top tier” (I’m really afraid of using that term) gear in a near future.

To understand your question – Do you see any of their current products as “top tier” ? If so which ?

If not then name some other company’s product then that is TT.

The squared boxes: OT, Machinedrum, maybe DT, etc.

1 Like

With that as the criterion i’d say the likelihood of them releasing a product to that level in the next twelve months is very high. I think in fact they are mid-way developing such a product right now. What it is, well …

1 Like

It has probably more to do with economics than most of us give them credit for. If DT was a huge a seller as we are led to believe, then why not? I’m pretty sure OT has been a slow but steady seller this whole time, which is why it’s still current despite being the oldest in the current line up. The Models (which are in no way lower quality imo - the Cycles has kicked my ass recently, for example) are probably a good strategy to get more people interested in the company so they want to eventually buy more. And it’s probably the case that they have to sell multiple more Models to make up for the profit of selling one of the more higher tier boxes. So I personally imagine something else is coming later this year or early next. It might even be an outlier we haven’t even thought of before. But we’ll want it in our lives. Elektron is very good at that kind of thing.

3 Likes

I agree very much craig.

There is also the simple matter of a natural corporate life cycle and who they employ. New products are what new product developers do.

If you employ new product developers, and Elektron employs some very good ones, they develop new products.

If you don’t employ new product developers, and you can see this in history of other tech firms, your product grow old and eventually the company dies.

1 Like

You guys think the most expensive boxes are not as good sellers as the Models? I mena, when I got into this it amazed me to see 7 or 8 out of 10 people making music with DT, OT, DN, A4 and AR. Models seem more accessible but their simplicity is a turn-off to many people, like me.

1 Like

they dont HAVE to do anything :wink:

they make what they’d like to make…take it or leave it.
I like that.

“Kind of”, right? I mean, you have find the balance between giving people what they want and something new that you can show them how to want.

Who knows? But also, those products have been in the wild much longer, so there will naturally be more musicians making music with them already. Plus, as the Models line is aimed more at beginners and people who want more direct access to parameters than the deeper dives of the others, they will tend to show up less in professional rigs (or be a very small part of those rigs, at least).

1 Like