What's next for Elektron?

I cant help but imagine an actual Elektron employee working on some top secret stuff taking a coffee break and browsing around the topic…

he must think, maaaan, they are so far off…

…or maaaan, these internet dudes, they guessed it right, they are spot on !

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I had the same thoughts ! But I can’t help but think that we may discover new projects a bit sooner that expected by Elektron. I mean with their new strategy, as we saw with the Model Cycles, the product is released worldwide at the same time with most of the retailers, just as the YouTube demos. That might get things hard to control for Elektron and a leak is easy to happen with all those people involved even with an NDA ! But that might just be a few days ahead of schedule I guess haha.

1 Like

Model: analog

2 Likes

Model: mix

1 Like

DigiOuts. The output expander for the Digi boxes.

1 Like

Convolution idea is frekn GOLD…like a kempfer amp modeler, but a digi box that can replicate any signal chain and plock per step the amount of the fx applied…this is genious!!!

Is that really even possible? Kemper profiles work because an amp/cab impulse response doesn’t contain time-based modulation, though nearly all fx do. Also, a Kemper profile is only for a single set of knob settings isn’t it?

I’ve mentioned it before, but it would be amazing if Elektron would add (stable) iOS/Android support so that you could use your phone for backups/downloads on the fly. I think a lot more people would backup their projects more frequently (probably buy more sound packs too) if it was quicker and simpler than dragging out your laptop.

Convolution is generally time based.

The way convolution reverbs work is basically play the standard impulse (through a speaker) into the space (your garage for exampole), record the space, compare the original impulse to the recording and extract the impulse-response of the space (basically what the space “does” to the sound). Now your convolution plugin/device creates an"algorithm" of your garage which you can use on any sound. Of course it doesnt have to be a speaker and a mic into an acoustic space. It can be line out to line in through any device (reverb, compressor, distortion)

I’m no expert on Kemper, but I believe it also samples you entire pedalboard, not just your amp/cab. It is true that all convolution devices sample a single setting. Once you start tweaking parameters on an impulse response it gets quite weird (not necessarily in a good way). But you can sample an elaborate chain of plugs created in your DAW for a particular song, sample it and use it live when you play that song. In that case live tweaking isn’t so important.

2 Likes

What @Joe_b said…

A device that could add plockable amounts per step of convolution presets of my…

1. Ehx lpb tube pre
  2. Strymon bigsky
  3. Alesis Bitrman
    Would be sensational
1 Like

You could probably do it with any Elektron sequencer+DAW running a convolution plug. Map the Dry/Wet of the plug to CC and P-Lock away.

Full disclosure: I have neber used an Elektron box, but as I understand the P-Lock concept it should be doable.

To be technically exact: an ideal impulse is a signal which contains all frequencies with the same unit level. By recording the impulse response you are generating a kind of frequency profile which shows how each frequency gets influenced.

The so called “algorithm” is afterwards nothing more than “multiplying” your signal with the impulse response (done in the frequency domain, of course) to calculate how your signal will be influenced.

What @alspacka meant was not some tweaking, but modulation effects in general. This already starts with a simple filter sweep which cannot be captured by convolution unless you record a complete stack of impulse responses (on for each sweep “position”). But, well, the memory requirements for that are quite large depending how much resolution you want and how many parameters should be modulated.

I don’t think that this “isn’t so important”. Any kind of modulations is quite central to electronic music.

3 Likes

The way convolution reverbs work is basically play the standard impulse (through a speaker) into the space (your garage for exampole), record the space, compare the original impulse to the recording and extract the impulse-response of the space (basically what the space “does” to the sound). Now your convolution plugin/device creates an"algorithm" of your garage which you can use on any sound. Of course it doesnt have to be a speaker and a mic into an acoustic space. It can be line out to line in through any device (reverb, compressor, distortion)

Yes, convolution can work for (simple) reverbs in the same way it works for cabinets and amplifiers, and that’s because the room/cab/amp is a simple system that can be fully characterized by giving it a whack (an impulse/delta function) and seeing how it sounds. Time-based modulations are not analogous systems and that characterization would be substantially more involved. Not saying it isn’t possible but I don’t know how feasible it is. But I’m not super familiar with what software plugins are out there so who knows.

From the manual: “The PROFILER can only take an accurate PROFILE of preamp stomp boxes, such as overdrive and distortion pedals, equalizers and filters, tube preamp pedals, and so on. Attempting to PROFILE a delay, reverb or modulation pedal is unlikely to work as expected.”

EDIT: What @tnussb said.

2 Likes

Oh absolutely, if one needs a manually sweepable filter and chooses a convolution device, well, best of luck to them.

I stand corrected on the Kemper, I didn’t realize it had it’s own fx algorithms and used convolution just for amps and cabs.

But there are plenty of software tools that could be ported into a hardware box that use an impulse response to create the aforementioned frequency-profile that also samples its behavior over time (Waves IR 1 is one example I know). These things do hog DSP, so latency could become an issue in certain situations. It can even sample a filter sweep/envelope/lfo mod but it can only recreate that exact same sweep it sampled…could still be a very useful for live performance.

“The next generation of Elektron instruments”. Come to papa! :hugs:

9 Likes

Gotta :heart: fika!

2 Likes

That keyboard though :drooling_face:

1 Like

Haha. Yes, I used to work for a Swedish company. Made Fridays a breeze. Little bit of work, but no one really cared. Fika in the middle of the afternoon. Some spiel by the CEO. Quickly followed by Friday beers :yellow_heart:

4 Likes