What's your funnest piece of gear?

nm g1

2 Likes

Moog Sub 37. It just sounds so very smooth. There is lots of room for aggression, but itā€™s also buttery smooth. The filter and envelopes are better than on anything else I own.

Most immediate satisfying results, it has gotta be the RYTM. It just gets everything started.

Next coming up, Dominion 1. It just sounds so great whatever knob you turn.

thanks! at least only half the price haha :slight_smile: never heard of those pieces, but u sell em good :wink:

The OP1 gives me that sense of childish insta-gratification.
Everybody needs a pair of monkey drummers.

On the other hand, the Montage is a rabbit hole of wonder and mystery.

5 Likes

x0xb0x i/o since years. two osc 303 cross mod bass boost funk, & I love the sequencer. Its plucky & I like plucky, it can sequence my modular, its decided to sync from the A4 recently, which was nice of it. & I can just jam on it for hours.
I really like those custom x0x OS, ive often thought about buying some cheap x0x just to sequence other gear. I find them more immediate than anything else.

recently M4L has been getting a big look in, its tying the studio together (at long last!)

And ive also got some tones out of the pro2 & love the black elektrons, all which have been really interesting, but not the funnest yet, i need to put more work in to get gratification back I think

1 Like

@rex_mundii is the montage any good then? I remember the promo videos a year or so back, and it was kinda cheesy but had some cool new tech iirc

Yah that big throbbing knob seems a bit much.
Apart from that, I think it sounds superb - the promo videos donā€™t do it
justice. But Iā€™m a sucker for a quality sounding romper.

As far as tech goes:

• The update to the rompers sound set is definitely welcome. Was a
    bit underwhelmed by the moxf/motif xf sound set and always missed my old
    Korg M3M - but not anymore.

• Donā€™t know much about FM since my only real exposure in the past
    has been through a dx200. But the FM-X invites exploration, plus using
    the sliders for live operator manipulation could get real interesting.

• Havenā€™t had time to get stuck into the motion control
    part, but Iā€™m anticipating big things.

• Not a fan of touch screens in general, but I donā€™t mind this one.

For me, itā€™s an upgrade from the moxf so itā€™s a helluva upgrade. For
motif/workstation users, maybe not so much. My finances dictate that
this will be my last big purchase for the next few years, but Iā€™m pretty
sure Iā€™ll be able to dive into it for that long no worries.

I get lost in my Volca Sample. Itā€™s the right level of tweakability, simplicity, good sounds, portability. And I can take it wherever I want because it runs on batteries and if it gets lost or stolen or broken, fine, Iā€™ll just grab another. (Not ideal, obviously, but I donā€™t worry about it like I would more expensive gear.)

Or my P-Bass. Two knobs, three octaves, always sounds good. The familiarityā€“I can measure my bass playing in decades at this pointā€“is both comforting and freeing.

3 Likes

@rex_mundii, I dont use romplers but can totally see how one can really help get shit done

i think i was just a bit snobby in my youth to the idea thinking i want all the synths but probably half the old records i like have classic rompler sounds in there & i would probably really enjoy using one

Roland JD-Xi. For some reason, it reminds of of jamming on the monotribe, (which was my first analog synth), but it is a far more capable machine.

2 Likes

Easyā€¦ the cow in a can.

http://www.tintoyarcade.com/cow-in-a-can-moo-moo-animal-voices.html

5 Likes

I think the most central piece in my studio is the restyler. Iā€™m a big vinyl junkie and with the restyler I can make rhythmical textures out of records I regret buying. Even if itā€™s 3 seconds of material. That might supply me with enough bass, percussive elements, noise to the track. Restyler has helped me in getting that sweet spot out of a loop. Then i splice with my gear.

How do you get caught up in the Montage rabbit hole?

The Montage was probably my favorite thing I saw at NAMM this year, and itā€™s totally unlike anything Iā€™d normally be drawn to. It sound phenomenal, is a lot of fun to program, and you can get plenty weird with it. If you can demo it, look for a patch called ā€œFMtechreā€ (I thinkā€¦donā€™t own one. Iā€™m sure itā€™s one of the Richard Devine patches tho). Go nuts and see if you donā€™t start considering selling some less essential organs to buy one.

1 Like

Modulate everything! Also, the fx structure can really take you places - im using a strymon timeline as an insert.

But year, it just sounds wicked in general - a lot of scope for sound design.

1 Like

@rex_mundii

If you have any time iā€™d love to hear a few minutes of the FMTechre patch with some noodling. There isnt any demos on line

2 Likes

Sure can, gimme a day or so

Ive got an AR, AK, MD and of the 3 the AR is by far the most fun.

Non elektron gear my Korg ER1 Mk2 and my MPC1000 are my most used & fun to play gear.

1 Like

AR is so techno. I love it

Nice one Rex

1 Like