When and how much?

Elektron seem to be clever cookies so I predict “lesser” voices than the A4 but based on same architecture and I reckon very little or no external midi sequencing. This would protect both A4 and OT sales and make the AR a great companion to any if the other Elektron boxes.

This ain’t replacing my OT at all though deciding between this and an A4 is pretty tough.

agreed. if analog is in the name i feel like it has to have CV. hopefully in this time too

you think it is going to be on par with an A4 in regards to sound synthesis?

I guess we will know soon enough. I was waiting until after NAMM to decide on an A4 (since I just got an OT recently).

Want!

you think it is going to be on par with an A4 in regards to sound synthesis?

I guess we will know soon enough. I was waiting until after NAMM to decide on an A4 (since I just got an OT recently).[/quote]
No, I said lesser than A4 voices! That could mean a variety of things to different people - but 8 A4 “lite” voices aimed primarily at percussion sounds about right. It use a lot of the same building blocks but will be missing bells and whistles. It can’t have everything!
I’m in same boat, deciding how to spend cash. I’m leaning A4 still as could still get something else random on top of that rather than one mighty splurge on the AR.

yes, as you said it was a clever move by elektron, A4 can do drums but won’t be able to do what this thing can, it won’t be able to do what A4 can so makes you pick if you are on a budget…I will probably end up with A4 and continue to sample/sequence drums on the OT…wish I could afford both :slight_smile:

I think the voices will be unique to percussion synthesis not the same as the A4 architecture. Lesser is some ways more in others. Multiple envelopes for the clap voice (4-8), 3-4 osc w/ x or ring mod on the tom voice(s), true sine on the kick, ect.

Each voice will get the 2 pole multimode from the A4.

I really hope the synthesis style is similar to the machinedrum, i.e. starting blocks for each percussive element and restricted parameters… I don’t really want to be presented with a subtractive synth with a million options…

I agree with you. With 1 osc/voice I doubt there will be a million options…
I’m hoping creative drum orientated parameters ala MD also.
I don’t know why people are saying 8 voice + sample playback. The samples go through the filter. 8 filters. I’m sure it’s 8 voice all up…
Going back to the first video in Berlin, there’s a lot of interesting sounds it can make though, beyond the honky style drum beats in the videos.

It does analog drums AND sampling?!
And I just bought an MD?!
AWWWWWWWW FARTS!

it looks cool. so someone buy my A4 to fund this!!!

I reckon 8 analog voices and 4 sample based? 12 pads, and in the 1st teaser video it looked like each pad was lighting up in time with a sound, unless the pads are not tied to the sounds. Maybe chromatic play will be possible?

Pretty sure it will not have same architecture as A4, although probably still FPGA based. I’d be very surprised if there was not an output per voice, and if there are no audio inputs it would be a first for Elektron, so perhaps sampling (as opposed to just playback) is going to be possible.

All baseless hunches though! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Still, wild speculation goes hand in hand with viral marketing, roll on the 25th!

Don’t worry, you will love the MD like family :wink:

If it was a sampler it wouldn’t say “sample support” on the video…

Sample support means it’ll play your samples. What else could it mean.

It’s an 8 voice drum machine - it states it quote clearly. Playing back a sample requires a voice.

It’s 8 voices in total - I’ll be surprised if they dedicate voices to certain synth engines. You should be able to, like the MD, play any engine on any voice.

The 12 pads are there for chromatic playback, that’s why there’s 12, not because it’s 8 synth voices and 4 sample voices, because then it’d be a 12 voice drum machine right?

Just my opinion, but it makes more sense.

Without accessing the filters, it’s just straight pitched sample playback, which is nothing special, seriously.

i wonder much better it can get.

around 1:40 is just too good

I am hoping its around the same cost as their other box machines.

Like the OT & A4, I will also wait until completed OS, peeling paint issues etc are resolved before considering purchase… unless they go the fair trade route & offer a discount to unwitting beta testers.

I don’t mean to sound jaded, just cautious is all/.

I think it’s 6 synth voices and 12 sample slots.

oh wait… that’s the a LXR and a MPC 500.

To my ears sample support sounds like… it can support it but not necessarily included. Maybe an option since other Elektrons already do that.

Would be cool if those pads could tie in to other Elektron machines. Trigerring Octatrack samples with velocity and so on… :joy:

Almost forgot about the LXR, have you built/used one?

Almost forgot about the LXR, have you built/used one?[/quote]
my friend has one and it’s pretty cool
it has a pretty good sequencer and I like it’s sound.

the kit and case cost around 470 dollars and building one is not that difficult either - can’t go wrong.