Your top ten video games of all time

It’s a wonderfully mesmerizing game. Lots of memories as a kid of playing it on that green-tinged Gameboy screen.

2 Likes

Top two absolute favorites, after that is a toss up.

NCAA Football 14
Goldeneye
California Games
SSX
Rush 2
Madden
Medal of Honor (all starting with Original PS)
Gears of war 3
Battlefield 1943 and bad company
Batman Arkham City

Technically 11 but who’s counting

2 Likes

No particular order [unless otherwise stated]…

• Legend of Zelda Wind Waker [no.1]
  • Half-Life 2
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Quake 3 [Q3 DM17 best map] [no.2]
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Paper Mario
  • Tiger Woods 2009
  • Icewind Dale
  • Ultima l
  • Golf Club 2K21

Honourable mentions…

• Dead Space
  • Battle Zone [arcade]
  • Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater [all]
  • Golden Tee [arcade]
  • Tempest [arcade]
  • Beyond Good and Evil
  • Pilot Wings
  • Utopia
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
  • Mummy and the Sphinx

adding: I werked on the Baldur’s and Icewind series :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Wow! Load Runner. Totally forgot about that game. Such a good game.

4 Likes

You worked on the baldurs gate and icewind dale games?

1 Like

Here i go, in somewhat of an actual order, though the numbers change now and again.

1. Red Dead Redemption1 and 2 as one story arc. Stunning in beauty and its storytelling, unmatched in 2’s open world. Years later and im still finding new things.
  2. The Last of Us 1 and 2. Set a new bar for emotional manipulation through gaming. I was pretty much in tears by the end of both of them.
  3. Witcher 3. Though there are parts of the story i have absolutely zero desire to play through ever again (Hello, Bloody Baron!), as a world to get lost in its nearly unmatched. Fantastic, violent combat, gorgeous landscapes, great characters… and Gwent.
  4. Skyrim. Because … Skyrim
  5. Fallout 4. i loved the base building and weapon customizations in this one. My character screaming “SHAAAAWWWNNN!!!” not so much…
  6. Aces Over Europe. I spent so much time with this one as a kid.
  7. Quest for Glorys 1-4
  8. Zelda: A Link to the Past (the one for Super Nintendo, right?)
  9. Battlefield 3.
  10. Worms 3D and Worms Fortresses. So many hours playing these with my son when we were both younger. Great memories of blowing eachother up with Holy Handgrenades and Banana Bombs.

Way too many more out there.
Alone in the Dark
Stunt Island
Prince of Persia
Megaman 2
the list is long and mighty.

1 Like

The Last of Us 1 and 2 are the few games that brought me to tears as well. Maybe I would put Last of Us 2 and Final Fantasy 7 and first place in my list.

2 Likes

This thread is great at making me feel better about not owning (or even wanting) a PS5 or Xbox Series X/S. So many amazing games that I’d forgotten about and really should go back to or discover afresh.

Great to see Okami and Dead Space listed a few times. I loved both of those but had largely forgotten about them. Might not revisit System Shock 2 though - I recall it freaking me out at the time!

6 Likes

Have a Ps5 and a XsX but you are so right. There are enough games for a lifetime and you don‘t even need the latest consoles. Even all the great Adventure games from Lucas Arts are good for one year :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I love lists! Not in any order:

Mirrors Edge
No-one Lives Forever
Quake 3 Arena
Commando (C64 version)
Turboraketti
Battlefield 1942
Wipeout
Stunt-car Racer
Demon’s Souls
Braid

2 Likes

Wow, there are so many good games out there. but these are burned into my brain forever:

Rocket League (PS4)
Witcher 3 (PS4)
Half-Life 2 (PC)
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
Turrican 2 (Amiga)
Super Mario World (SNES)
TrackMania United Forever / TrackMania 2 (PC)
Worms World Party (PC)
Secret of Monkey Island (PC)
Mass Effect (PC)

3 Likes

I never heard of KOPS but used to play AUTS a lot. Then V-Wing came out and we switched to that. My list:

1: Nethack
The rest:
Mario Kart 7
Tetris (NES)
Unreal World
Civ 4 (haven’t played the newer ones but I’m sure they are even better)
WarioWare Gold
DK Country Returns 3DS (love and hate this one, it’s beautiful and has great level design but extremely hard to get all the puzzle pieces and stuff)

Hmm seems I can’t even think of 10… I guess Dwarf Fortress would be up there if I knew how to play it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ya, helped out with animations for Baldur’s and Baldur’s Dark Alliance. And I was the lead artist as well as the animator for Icewind Dale.

10 Likes
  1. Dynamite Heady
  2. Ecco the dolphin
  3. Sonic 3 and knuckles
  4. Final Fantasy 9
  5. Chrono trigger
  6. Castle crashers
  7. Space giraffe
  8. Zelda: Ocarina of time
  9. Dragon crystal
  10. Smash TV
2 Likes

The Dreamcast was so god damn good.
I remember getting it on release and subscribing to Dreamcast magazine. Playing Quake arena online and playing Phantasy star Online. It was my first real online gaming experience and I loved it.
My brother and I played Seaman together and we fucked up and ruined all his food so we were searching every message board online to see if there was a way to breed more food for him all the while Seaman kept saying “Is it food time yet? Is it food time yet?” Eventually he starved to death.
Also when Resident evil: Code Veronica came out that was everything. I remember in Dreamcast magazine in the Shenmue preview they said they’re would be like 7 full games or something and you could go anywhere and interact with everything. It was also the only console since the original NES that I actually enjoyed playing sports games on, NFL2K was excellent. Now sports games are full of commercials and commentary it feels like you’re watching a boring game on TV instead of actually playing it. I also remember being blown away by the VMU how you could use it to pick your plays in sports games or see your health in resident evil. Man I was 100% in on everything Dreamcast and remember actually being mad about PS2 coming out even though I loved playstation. That was a seriously golden time in gaming for sure.

3 Likes

I’d love to see a thread of: Video games that made you cry.
For me it would have been-
Silent hill 1 (when Lisa dies/transforms)
Silent hill 2 (The ending)
Final fantasy VII (You know the part)
Last of us (the ending)

….I forgot to add Silent hill 1-3 on my top 10 list.

But yea as much as I’d love to embrace PS5, I play old school games more than anything with the exception of Red dead, skater XL, random games from Devolver digital and stuff on the switch.

I have serious appreciations about this generation of consoles. They’re incredibly powerful and amazing but developers are too busy chasing f2p loot box gotcha games, they all want to make the next Fortnite or whatever garbage game to make millions.
Only next gen thing that’s on the radar now that excites me at all is PSVR2. The first one was so good and VR in general is so fun hopefully some developers will get behind it and make some good shit.

2 Likes

For me, in no particular order:

Baldurs Gate 1 & 2
The Secret of Monkey Island
Super Mario World
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Civilization 6
Street Fighter 2
Half Life 2
Dark Souls 2
Starcraft
Land of Lore 2: Throne of Chaos

5 Likes

I loved all those games, and their animations. thank you for the countless hours of entertainment

2 Likes

Good to see a treasure game pop up.
They did a lot of nice mega drive platformers , Astro boy on gba was good too plus their classics ikaruga and sin and punishment .

Nice to see someone mention an Arkham game too (I worked on them ) it’s been many years.

No particular order (among many other great games):

F-Zero (classic, great music, awesome sense of speed!)
Gran Turismo (An RPG-style racing sim? How does this work so well?)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (a great balance between the other in the series)
Half-life 2 (I loved the original along with all the mods, but this game was just something else)
Portal (one of the first times I finished a game and forgot the logic of normal life)
Skies of Arcadia (kind of a nostalgic RPG for me - just lovely characters and playful adventure)
Resident Evil 4 (crazy well balanced, great humor and self reflection, really really well designed)
Halo (Definitely not perfect. But, going back to it, this was a crazy take on hallway shooters)
Splinter Cell (still haven’t played Chaos Theory - the first games that made me really wait and think patiently in the game)
Trauma Center (I just loved the first two games)

5 Likes